Cashew Rice Balls / Andiputtu-Malabar Snack
Cashew rice balls / Andiputtu is on the tea table of Malabari’s at all special occasions. It is very easy to make but take little time to make. You can use pea nut instead of cashew nut used here or use both cashew and pea nut. Chopped, crushed dates can also be mixed with these delicious laddu according to your taste.
- Cashew nut- 250gm
- Matta rice / parboiled rice – ½ cup
- Grated coconut- 3/4 cup
- Jaggery-200gm (or as per your sweetness)
- Wash the rice properly and drain.
- Dry roast the matta rice in a cast iron wok on medium low heat, by stirring constantly.
- Roast until it reaches slightly brown in color and puffed up (almost 15-20 minutes).
- Keep it aside to cool.
- Now dry roast the nuts until it slightly changes the color and nice aroma comes.
- Allow to cools down completely.
- Melt jaggery with ¼ cup of water and strain it.
- Using a blender, blend the rice well in to a fine powder.
- Blend the cashew nuts also (no need to blend extra fine, but little bites to crunch.).
- Just give a crush for the grated coconut.
- Mix all these ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add melted jaggery in to it mixing little by little.
- Mix well with a fork or spoon.
- Now clean your hands, (if need grease with some oil) and start making balls (laddu) with it immediately.
- Store it in an air tight container for longer use.