- Basmati rice- ¼ cup
- Sugar- ½ cup
- Cardamom powder- ¼tsp
- Saffron powdered-few strands
- Nuts-to decorate (almond, pistachio, raisins)
- Wash and rinse the rice.
- In a sauce pan heat a teaspoon of ghee
- Roast the nuts and raisins till golden color.
- In the same pan ; roast the rice for 3 minutes.
- Pour the milk in to it and let it boil.
- Stir occasionally, (low-medium heat) to avoid sticking milk in the bottom of the pan. (Even a small sticking of milk in the pan spoil the taste of kheer.)
- Add sugar and continue stirring at low flame. (it takes almost 30 minutes )
- When the milk started thicken; add saffron, cardamom powder and half of roasted nuts.
- The gheer thickens with time even after no flame. So switch off when it just started the thickening consistency.
- Serve it hot or cold by decorating with remaining nuts.