Ghee rice is a nicely fragrant rice recipe in Kerala. It is used to make in most of the special occasions with any non-veg curry as a side dish. Also it is one of the quick and easy recipe choice.
- Basmati rice- 2cups
- Ghee-4 tbsp
- Onion thinly chopped- 1 large
- Cinnamon-1 small inch stick
- Cardamom-4 nos
- Clove-4 nos
- Pepper corns-1tsp
- Bay leaf-1
- Garam masala- a pinch
- Cashew nuts- 10 nos
- Raisins- 1tbsp
- Water-3 3/4 cups
- Salt-to taste
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel.
- Add sliced onions and fry it until golden in color, take it out from the pan and keep aside.
- Add cashew nuts and raisins in to the ghee and roast it also until golden in color.
- Take it out and keep it with the fried onions.
- Add a tablespoon of ghee again in to the pan and add whole spices (cardamom, clove, cinnamon, bay leaf and pepper cones).
- Add drained rice in to it and roast for few minutes (3-4) until all the water content in it vanishes; but not changes it color.
- Don’t stir too much; then the rice gets broken; give a nice mix only.
- Add 3 ¾ cups of boiling water in to it .
- Add enough salt and garam masala.
- Cover cooks it on low-medium flame until the water gets absorbed (Stir for 2 to tree times at the last stage of cooking)
- After switch of the flame keep the rice covered for 10 minutes.
- Open the lid and garnish with fried onions, cashews and raisins.
- Serve it hot with any of your favorite side dishes; especially with Chicken Recipes.
- Note: If the quantity of rice is large; roasting it without broken the rice is difficult. You can also cook ghee rice by not roasting the rice; in that case add water first and when it boils add rice along with a teaspoon of lemon juice also.